Sunday, May 6, 2012

Banana gingerbread

This is a recipe I wanted to try out because a friend of mine said she loved bananas. It just made me want to bake with them. Also, everyone loves gingerbread. You can’t exist if you don’t. So I pulled out one of my biggest and most wonderful books and baked up a recipe that looked way too delicious for its own good. I did substitute the main ingredients. I know I almost always end up changing recipes to my own liking, but I simply don’t have black treacle and malt extract around and I wouldn’t know where to buy it. If you do have some, use two tablespoons of each and omit the vanilla extract.

Photobucket

Ingredients:
275 grams flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons mixed spice or cinnamon
115 grams soft light brown sugar
60 ml oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 eggs
4 tablespoons orange juice
3 bananas
115 grams raisins


1. Sift the flour together with the soda and spices. Add the brown sugar and the dry ingredients together.
2. Mash the bananas with a fork or put them into the mixer. If you like, leave the raisins in a bit of orange juice to swell.
3. Make a well in the center and add the oil, vanilla extract, eggs and orange juice. Mix thoroughly.
4. Lastly, add the raisins and bananas and mix again.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased brownie tin and bake in a preheated oven of 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-30 minutes.

Photobucket

Cut them into slices and serve them warm straight away or if you can resist leave them to cool. Don’t cover this cake straight away or it will get a bit sticky from the condensation. Other than that, I don’t have much to say. It turned out perfectly after my first try and it’s just really nice. On the other hand there will never be anything I make that will be good enough, so this time I’m complaining about the pictures. They’re horrible and in no way do they display the beauty and deliciousness of this cake. Forgive me for that one and enjoy the recipe!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment